Dr. Wei Wang
School of Computer Science and Software Engineering
Xi'an Jiaotong Liverpool University
Dushu Lake Higher Education Town
Phone: +86 (0) 512 88167736
WWW: page at XJTLU
My research interests lie in the broad area of Data and Knowledge Engineering.
- knowledge discovery
- semantic search
- ontology learning
- service discovery and ranking
- big smart city data processing
- deep recurrent neural networks
- Internet of Things
Distributed Intelligence for Big Smart City Data Processing
The project applies techniques developed in the areas of semantic Web, machine learning and data mining to extract knowledge from the large-scale collaboratively generated data on the social Web, and attempts to move one step further towards harvesting the "collective intelligence", in particular, in the domain of scientific research. It aims to develop new learning methods and algorithms to differentiate and unveil the true semantics of tags as well as the relations among them, and to abstract them in formal taxonomical or ontological knowledge. More importantly, the research aims to elicit evolving semantics from the social dynamics and to implement efficient learning mechanisms to address the computational challenges. The significance of the research is to enable better understanding of the social interactions for human by deriving evolving knowledge from collectively generated contents and to improve content discovery, search, ranking and attention support in general.
Learning and Evolving Knowledge from User Generated Social Media Data
The project aims to design and develop methods and apparatus for processing and analysing city data, based on the key concept of "distributed intelligence". In particular, the novelties include: (1) distributed intelligence for processing big smart city data, (2) information abstraction and representation for city data of different nature, (3) deep knowledge discovery for developing truly smart city applications, and (4) trust modelling for assessing the trustworthiness of discovered knowledge.
Data-driven Cyber-Physical-Social System for Knowledge Discovery in Smart Cities (with University of Surrey, completed in Oct 2018)
The project aims to design a data-centric framework for CPSS that contains management and processing capabilities for knowledge discovery from mobile sensing data and social networks content. The contributions include a data retrieval method that addresses the issue of searching for both current and historical sensor measurement values from heterogeneous sources in mobile sensing environments. A novel spatio-temporal model for regression analysis that can perform missing data estimation in incomplete datasets obtained from mobile sensing sources has been developed that outperforms the state-of-the-art noticeably. Finally, the designed knowledge discovery mechanism merges and correlates physical and social sensing data, enabling links between different scales/types of data: numeric values of sensor observation data and textual content of social networks messages.
Invited Talks and Tutorials
- IEEE Transactions on SMC Systems (formally known IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics part A), 2009 - present
- Information Sciences Elsevier, 2009 - present
- Knowledge and Information Systems, Springer, 2016 - present
- Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, Hindawi, 2019 - present
- IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computational Intelligence, 2019 - present
- Journal of Reliable Intelligent Environments - Springer, 2019 - present
- Semantic Web - Interoperability, Usability, Applicability (Semantic Web journal), IOS press, 2017-present
- Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, Springer, 2017 - present
- Digital Communications and Networks, Elsevier, 2017 - present
- International Journal On Semantic Web and Information Systems, special issue on "sensor networks, Internet of Things and smart devices", 2012
- International Journal of Geographical Information Science, 2012
- Special Issue on "Frontiers in Cyber-Physical-Social Data Fusion in Smart Cities", MDPI Smart Cities Journal. submission deadline, 31st Dec 2019.
- Special Issue on "Symmetry in Systems Design and Analysis", Symmetry, Ka Lok Man, Tomas Krilaviius, Wei Wang, ISSN 2073-8994, 2016.
- Special Issue on "Emerging Approaches and Advances in Big Data", Ka Lok Man, Kevin Lee, Wei Wang, Symmetry, ISSN 2073-8994, 2017.
- "Deep Learning for Multi-modal Data Processing in Smart City Applications",invited speaker at International Conference on Data Science and Information Technology (DSIT-2019), Seoul, Korea, July, 2019.
- "Distributed Intelligence for Smart City Applications", invited speaker at International Conference on Data Science and Information Technology (DSIT-2018), Singapore, July, 2018.
- "Distributed Intelligence for IoT Data Processing", keynote at 2nd International workshop on Cooperative Sensing for Smart Mobility, the 3rd IEEE Annual International Smart Cities Conference (ISC2 2017), Sep, 2017.
- "Distributed Intelligence for Big Smart City Data Processing", invited talk at the Research Festival of 10th Anniversary of XJTLU, 2016.
- "Data Modelling and Knowledge Engineering for the Internet of Things", Tutorial at The 18th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management (EKAW 2012), October 7, 2012.
- "Rational research ranking for scientific research communities", invited talk, national R&D centre in ICT, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 20, July, 2010.
- General co-Chair at DATICS-FUTURETECH 2016, Beijing China, 2016.
- General co-Chair at DATICS-IMECS 2016, HongKong, 2016.
- Secure mobile user interfaces, co-organised with Hai-ning Liang and Chuck Fleming, the 17th IEEE International Conference on Computational Science and Engineering, 19-21 December, Chengdu, China, 2016.
- Second IoT Semantics challenges and Interoperability, IoT Semantic Interoperability Event for ETSI M2M, European Research Cluster on the Internet of Things (IERC), Guildford, UK, 15, Apr, 2013.
- First IoT Semantics challenges and Interoperability, IoT Semantic Interoperability Event for ETSI M2M, European Research Cluster on the Internet of Things (IERC), Sophia Antipolis, France, 22-23 October 2012.